Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blogs in the Classroom

I am currently only substituting so I do not work with any specific age group or content area. I do have a multiple subject credential so I usually sub in elementary schools. With that said, there are two ways I can use this blog. The first way would be as a substitute where I can use this blog as a tool for a brief introduction about myself and some rules I expect students to follow throughout the day. Also, I may add several "fun facts" and pictures for the appropriate age groups so the blog is not only used as a "rule maker." I would not want to imprint in students' minds that blogs are used to just tell rules or give it a negative tone because my blog may be a first experience for some students in some of the schools I sub in.

If I was in my own classroom, I would use the blog to showcase student work. I would also use it as a tool for students to access their homework (if they forgot to write it down that day or if they are absent). Since I would put up student work, students, parents, any blog reader would see what we are currently working on. With that said, I would also have a few posts of what we will be working on next with small samples of stories, math equations, or a single picture to build anticipation (I want to get students excited to learn!!)

A way I can use this blog to enhance lessons is to create posts about the specific topic. I can add lots of pictures and even videos because they are tremendously helpful in both teaching and learning. Then during the lesson, I can pull up my blog to give more support to students. I think during a lesson my blog would work in the same manner as a PowerPoint presentation does where it keeps me on task, organized, and ensures that I cover all of the important parts.

Today I was in a fourth grade class and we were learning about how igneous rocks are formed. The textbook had pictures, but wouldn't it have been way more effective to show the students a video of these rocks actually forming or at least in some other visually stimulating way? This particular video uses music to teach about the rock cycle, which can be just as effective!



I do have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. I know YouTube is usually blocked from use at schools so can we can still play videos that are embedded in blogs that are from YouTube? We should be able to right? Since we are not actually accessing the site....? Anyway, I'd love to hear your comments and feedback in ways to improve my ideas! :)

4 comments:

  1. Heather, I love the idea of using a blog site to post a picture (it could even be something like a riddle or a clue word) to get students' attention for an up coming lesson/unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I really like your idea of providing additional resources related to your lessons on your site. In my district, we are limited to only sharing pre-approved math websites with parents on our websites. This may be something you may encounter. We have to be careful to ensure that what we share online coincides appropriately with the curriculum. There are great resources out there, but there are also some inaccurate and outdated sites too! You just need to look at them thoroughly! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat video! Unfortunately, my school does not allow youtube videos even the ones that are posted in a blog. Normally, I can find a video that represents the idea I am teaching, but it does take a little longer to find. National Geographic has a lot of great videos for science related activities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that blogs are an excellent way for students to share their work. I also think it is a great resource for students to use for homework.

    Using video on the blog is a very good idea. I know that I can record lesson on my interactive white board. It would be useful if I could use a blog to show a video taped lesson for students to review at home.

    ReplyDelete