Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Editing and Reviewing my GAME Plan

My GAME Plan is to make the content "come to life" for my students through the use of technology tools, such as VoiceThread. I will also use this tool as a way for students to reflect upon their learning by creating a VoiceThread of their knowledge. In doing so, students will create a VoiceThread at the end of each chapter of each content area. 

What resources will you need to carry out your plan (video, reading, experts or colleagues, etc)?
To carry out my GAME Plan, I will need computers with Internet, content material, and the website, VoiceThread.

What additional information do you need?
At this point I need to introduce students to the concept of VoiceThread because we will then be able to move forward with my GAME Plan. I feel that once I see how quickly (or slowly) students are grasping the idea of using VoiceThread as a reflecting tool, I will be able to map out more concretely how often I would like to use this tool.  I feel that if students are grasping how to create a VoiceThread fairly quickly, we will be able to use it more often. If students are having trouble with creating their own VoiceThread, I may have to make accommodations. For example, I may have to pair up students so that they can help one another throughout the process, while other students will not have any problems.

What steps have you been able to take so far?
I have started mapping out where I want students to create their own VoiceThreads. I have started creating my own VoiceThread, which I will present to my class in a way to introduce them to this new idea.

**As I have been putting my plan into motion this week, I have come to the decision that I will be using PowerPoint instead of VoiceThread in my GAME Plan. The reason for this change is because I think my students will benefit more from learning how to use PowerPoint than VoiceThread. Many of them do not have computers with Internet at home so it would not benefit them much outside of the classroom. Also, PowerPoint will be an essential tool in their academic careers so learning how to use the program sooner than later will be better off in the long run. 

3 comments:

  1. The use of VoiceThreads is a great tool for the students to learn to use. Will you have a problem getting a computer lab for the students to complete the VoiceThreads? I like the idea of showing the students what a VoiceThread is becasue they will see a model of what they need to do. Are you going to give the students step by step instructions on how to do it or are you going to let them work at it for a few days and then give them instruction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have 4 computers in the classroom so I would have students use them to create their VoiceThreads when we work in our centers. We also go to the computer lab on Friday's for about 40 minutes where I would teach step by step. I think the first few VoiceThreads they create will need to be step by step for most of my students. There are a few students that will be able to venture off on their own after one learning session, but overall, most of them will probably need several step by step instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voice Thread is a great tool. I want to incorporate that in my classroom somehow this year.

    Powerpoint is also good. I encourage my students to download Open Office and Dropbox at home. I create a student account on Dropbox and then students can work on their work at home or at school. I have found that sending home directions to parents on how to do this is helpful. Next year I am going to include it in my classroom handbook and I am also going to have a meeting after school for parent to ask computer questions for things such as Open Office, Dropbox, Checking grades online, etc.

    Part of effective teaching is making changes in what is not working. That is good that you are flexible.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete